Handwashing! Seems too simple to make a global movement about.. so many bigger problems.. But did you know?
· Every year, 2 million children DIE BEFORE their fifth birthday because of diseases like diarrhoea and pneumonia.
· Over 40% of these deaths occur in the neonatal period, when children are most vulnerable.
· Hygiene, particularly handwashing with soap, is one of the most cost-effective ways to prevent many of these deaths.
· Just Handwashing with soap can reduce diarrhoea by 45% and pneumonia by 23% worldwide
If these statistics don’t move you, meet Sangrahi. Sangrahi, a pregnant mom dreams of her little one-to-be Chamki..
Chamki, NOT a movie showcases a real life experiment, the constant worry of a pregnant mother , anxious about her baby’s health and her touching aspirations for her child. As she narrated distressing stories of the ill fated babies of near and dear, who did not even survive the first few years, a chill ran down my spine. Every mother prays for the well being of her child. But the real alarming fear of whether my child will even reach five of age, purely because of health and basic hygiene needs is scary.
So What is #HelpaChildreach5?
The #helpachildreach5 is a global initiative started by Lifebuoy. The ‘Help a Child Reach 5’ campaign started in Thesgora, a village in Madhya Pradesh that had one of the highest rates of diarrhoea, and showcased remarkable results.
It has already reached more than 250 million people, and is on target to reach a billion people by 2020.
“If one simple but effective thing can change that statistics around, then I think it is important to spread the message” says brand ambassador Kajol. I agree. With Kajol, Chamki, 100 pregnant women, Samir Singh, executive director, Hindustan Unilever and eminent pediatrician Dr. Balasekar, I also took the handwashing pledge at a recent event.
But you don’t need to be a celebrity or attend an event to spread the message. People all over the world are becoming passionate champions spreading the message of a SIMPLE HANDWASH WITH SOAP TO SAVE A LIFE. You can be the change.
Here is how you can help
· Share Sangrahi’s story, show it to expecting mothers to teach good #handwashing habits that can save millions of young lives. #HelpAChildReach5
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsnP_6kdtDY
· Fight for your and other newborns right to a healthy start and a hygienic environment. Insist on hand washing before touching a new born..(never mind the roll of the eyes and the smirks)
· Learn the correct hand washing techniques. Take a look at the many spots we may miss , when to wash hands and very importantly, how.
· Speak to your help and educate them and their children on the importance of handwashing with soap.
· Buy a few bars of soap. Stop on the roadside, show the hand washing video to little kids playing or worse still working on the roadside.Volunteer and spread the word, as much as you can, whenever you can.
Lifebuoy is genuinely doing what its brand jingle has promised for ages “Tandurusti ki raksha karta hai Lifebuoy..”. Let’s do our bit to #helpachildreach5
Learn more about the #helpachildreach5 mission here
(This article was also posted on Mycity4kids at http://www.mycity4kids.com/parenting/mamma-mia/article/if-you-could-just-wash-hands-and-save-a-life-would-you)